Wednesday, July 7, 2010

a reminder

So...
I know that sticking your hands in scorching hot whey might not be what you're dreaming of right now, but I've got to tell you, I did it today and I am not sorry.

It's about 110 degrees in my bedroom right now--I mean it's really that hot and many of you might be right there with me on this one.

And I'm sure that you have sworn off turning on your stove until this damn heat wave breaks, and I'm right there with you on that one.

But the truth is- there is news that the blight might return. And that's not all. The world is full of surprises, and not all of them are good. So, because you never know when that fresh in-season tomato might be your last, and because basil is popping out of every corner, I thought I'd just give you a little reminder, you know, about mozzarella.

If you make it yourself, you can chop up a few fresh herbs and roll them up in the cheese at the end. You can slice it while it's still a bit warm, and tuck it under those precious thinly sliced tomatoes. As for the basil, some shove it below, and some lay it above as a little garnish, and where you fit is entirely up to you. Bring out the good balsamic, because (as I was saying), there's no time like the present, a little olive oil, a toss of salt, and a growl of pepper.

No pressure... I know it's hotter than hell out there. But honestly, it might just be the moment to make a batch of mozzarella. Just sayin'.

Hope you all are making it through, if you are in the hot zone. My hose is out front if anyone needs it. It's not as good as a pool, but the girls will tell you that it almost gets there.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alana! Thanks for your link at the Seminal, sending me here -- this is wonderful. I don't make mozzarella as we have a wonderful farmer's market that does. I couldn't get through the summer without this salad, dripping with olive oil and vinegar. The other thing I found a few years ago is fresh garlic - what a difference. In the winter, and we have six months of it here in Cleveland, I slow roast roma tomato halves open-face with garlic, oil and salt and pepper. It almost works...
    Found my old copy of ED's French Provincial Cooking tonight. In it was tucked a receipt from a purchase in Paris, from E. Dehillerin, Paris, dated 1982. Oh, pots and pans!
    Christine Edmonson

    ReplyDelete