Saturday, February 7, 2009

about me

I'm Alana, a mother of two girls, one stubborn and one dreamy, and wife to an artistic preschool teacher. Having become a mother about as soon as I threw my cap at graduation, it's now time to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. In between mothering, I have fallen into many jobs. I have taught classical geometry and modern dance. I have worked in international publishing rights, architecture and design, and film. And for many Saturdays over the last few years, I have worked at our local farmer's market for Indian Line Farm, where my family has a CSA share, which has been hands down my favorite thing on the list.
In the summer of 2008, having a bit of a crisis over the whole life profession question, I came to the realization that I absolutely lived for my Saturdays at the market. As people came up to me and asked me about escarole and garlic scapes, I not only found that I had an answer for all of them, I felt myself come alive as I got to give advice on what they should make for dinner. And so I decided that whatever the future would bring, it should have something to do with me and a pot of soup. And so I started this blog, so that I could get my recipe giving fix during the week too.
I'm still working on figuring out the end result. And I must admit that I'm impatient to get there. I don't know what combination of writing and cooking it will be, but as long as I can keep writing and cooking here, things seem to be working out. Thanks so much for visiting, and please say hello! Comments make me happy, and I'll do my best to answer any questions that you might have about food, or kids who will only eat noodles, or traveling, or anything else I might cover here. If you're shy, you can also contact me directly at alanachernila[at]gmail[dot]com.