Monday, April 18, 2011

what i do

With a sign this beautiful, anything is possible.  Ask Harkins, what do you do?
Harkins is a florist.

I had a conversation with our friend John the other night.  He's a therapist, and was down from Vermont to visit for a night. We were talking about the challenge and deep worth of finding the words to express what you do.  That in some ways, being able to say what you do is the first step to really taking it out into the world.

So I've been giving it a shot.

I'm a writer. (That's the short answer)
I write about food and family and how to live well on fewer resources.  I write about empowerment in the kitchen, and about dodging other peoples assessments and judgments about what you should or should not eat/cook/feed your family.  I think that you know what you want cook, and if you need a friend with whom to share that bottle of wine while you try to figure it out, here I am. 

That's what I do.

What I do is a work in progress, I think.

But I have to say that getting this all into a few sentences is not only useful, it's harder than I thought it would be.  And I wonder, I mean, I have to ask, if you might be willing to try...

what do you do?

3 comments:

  1. I am a teacher.
    I teach my kids each day about every aspect of life – how to get dressed, how to read, how to eat well, how to, and how to. By profession I teach urban children and take every opportunity in the classroom to fill them with experiences and pass on the skills they need. For my hobby I write my blog, to guide and teach people how easy it is to use the items in their CSA.
    http://www.purplecook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a mother, writer and tutor. I tutor students grades K-8 in order to support them in their learning needs and to provide our family with income that allows me to stay home with our daughter. I am a mother to our daughter and help her navigate the world with support and a smile. For a creative outlet, I am also a writer who blogs about eco-friendly kid items, green living, crafting and home organization at www.craftygardenmama.blogspot.com. I enjoy all three facets of me and the experiences that they bring to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a barista. I make coffee all day. I love frothing milk and smelling like coffee at the end of the day. When I'm not working, I love to read food magazines and cookbooks and dream about what I'll cook next. I love to read classic literature and anything to do with food (Gabrielle Hamilton's Blood, Bones and Butter was amazing). I love to get creative by taking pictures of what I cook and writing about it on my blog:
    http://flavorsings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete