Tuesday, October 20, 2009

apple crisp


After six and a half years of parenting, we have finally trained the girls not to wake us up on Sunday morning. It's taken a lot of work, including some moments that I'm not entirely proud of. (for example, "Get Out! Too Early!)
I am not a good waker-upper on the days that I'm supposed to be up. Joey and the girls are often dressed and halfway through breakfast before I shuffle into the kitchen in my green Hollywood shwag robe, trying to up my speed so that I can braid hair and pour goldfish before everybody is out the door. These are not my most shining moments.
It's just that bed is so comfortable. It's quiet, and much warmer than the rest of the house at 6:30 in the morning. Second to the kitchen at the right time of day, it is my favorite place in the house.
Back to Sunday. Although I can't drag my butt out of bed on a random Tuesday morning, I seem to have very little problem doing so on Sunday. Maybe it's the extra half hour of sleep I'm getting, but I think more likely it is the illogical rebel in there. I figure that I put so much work into getting the kids not to wake me up- I hear Sadie reading some princess book to Rosie, and I'm betting I have at least another 45 minutes of peace before they stomp in demanding pancakes. But I am not sleeping. That is the rebel in me.
I am neurotically going over a to-do list in my head. I am thinking about that thing I forgot to do for work. I am realizing that I have yet to plant the garlic. I am very awake. And the bed is not so comfortable when I am very awake.
Sometimes I can fight it. Joey's sleeping self convinces me to close my eyes again, and I can at least quiet my mind. But more often, I get up and bake.
The girls are already in some morning project, and if I promise them something good, they'll give me a few moments to myself. I bake, and then I make coffee, and I get to wake Joey up like a Folger's commercial. Usually, these are the moments that I make muffins, or muffins, or muffins. But sometimes I make apple crisp, which works out for the gluten free side. And seems to make everyone else happy as well.

Apple Crisp
recipe mostly inspired by Meredith, now several years ago
(serves 4, with a bit extra to eat out of the pan mid- morning)

3 lbs apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
optional: 1 cup raisins, soaked in water for 15 minutes

1 stick unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 Tablespoon honey

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Put the apples in a baking dish. 9x13 will work, but it can be smaller with a deeper apple layer. Toss the apples with the lemon juice, cornstarch, sugar, and cinnamon until evenly coated. Add the raisins, if using.
Melt the butter in a medium sized pot. When it's melted, take it off the heat. Add the oats, sesame seeds, coconut and honey. Mix well. Spread the mixture over the apples. Put in the middle of the oven and bake for about 45 minutes. Midway through baking, cover with aluminum foil to slow the browning of the top.
Serve hot, with maple yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment